Tuesday 22 October 2013

WiFi for football fans

Earlier this year I worked on a pitch for a brand that was a major sponsor of the MCG.

As a football fan and twitter lover I've been driven insane trying to get a 3G signal at the MCG.

So I pitched the idea that rather than simply sponsor the stadium the brand actually pay for wifi to be installed.

We even went so far as to get indicative costings done.

Suffice to say we didn't win the pitch. And the MCG is still a 3G deadzone.

I suspect the problem is actually caused by many thousands of people all trying to access a signal at the same time.

So wifi is definitely the answer.

Over in the UK Liverpool became the first club to install a large scale wifi network at their stadium.

Sadly it's been plagued with problems.

In fact an unofficial survey this week found it was basically a dud.

Sounds to me like there's a seriously big opportunity for a telecom provider here.

Or maybe we'll just continue to put up with the situation.