Wednesday 31 July 2013

My 2c on Publicis & Omnicom

Staying up to date on what's happening in the ad biz is important for me both personally and professionally.

So I subscribe to several industry email newsletters.

All of which are currently awash with news, views and speculation over the merger between Publicis and Omnicon.

Five out of the seven stories in today's AdAge news are on the merger.

It's like the ad industry equivalent of Will and Kate's baby.

What troubles me most about this merger is that it will create a holding company bigger than WPP.

Now I'm no expert on the numbers but I'd hazard a guess that this means that around eight out of every ten dollars spent on advertising in Australia will go through these two companies.

If my guesstimate is wildly off the mark please let me know and I'll correct it.

Another issue for me is the fact that most new business pitches will now probably feature agencies pitching against agencies within a holding company.

A seriously inefficient way of doing business I'd have thought.

But then again I'm nothing more than an over opinionated old creative guy. So what would I know?