Wednesday 3 April 2013

Are banner ads worth the money?

I've done more than my fair share of banners ads in my career.

I did some of the first flash banners back when Yahoo wouldn't run them.

And I created homepage takeovers long before they became annoying.

But these days there is nothing that annoys me more than banner ads.

Not because they're bad (even though most of them are) but because they're bloody everywhere.

The internet is literally covered in them.

They're like graffiti. Only they're not works of art. And they cost a lot of money.

So is that money worth spending?

It would appear not:

A standard banner has a 0.04% click thru rate.

Almost half of the clicks on mobile ads are accidental.

And the stat that has been much talked about of late - you're more likely to walk away from a plane crash than click on a banner ad.

Of course if you're happy to ignore these stats and need some banners done feel free to give me a call.