Wednesday 28 May 2008

The price of Gold


Awards are often a topic of discussion in adland.

Some people knock them them. Some people are obsessed with winning them.

As for me, I have a few gathering dust at the back of a cupboard in my study.

They used to be important when I was younger. They helped me to build a great CV and get a couple of very good jobs.

These days though I'm not really bothered.

Of course I still enter work if I think it is exceptional. Got to be in it to win it, as the saying goes.

This year I entered three pieces of work into Cannes.

Luckily for me I work for a multinational agency, so we have an awards budget.

Each entry cost about $380. That's almost $1,200.

With that figure in mind, think about this:

There were a record 28,284 entries at Cannes this year.

That's a lot of money in anyone's language.

But where does it all go?